What is a Kitchen hood?
Visualize a hot kitchen. Smoke, heat and the flavours are part of the air. This can be quite uncomfortable especially for the staff working in the kitchen. Poor ventilation system can be a health hazard, fires can easily start when the kitchen is hot all the time. One must-have equipment in this space is a kitchen hood also known as a range hood.
It is important to note that a kitchen hood is specific and unique especially in a commercial kitchen. One size does not fit all. So what are some of the things to consider?
1. Hot kitchen layout
A range hood size and design depends on the layout and area the equipment cover. A good hood should cover the hot kitchen area and have some allowance to ensure all the heat, vapour or smoke is captured effectively. In other words a hood is a type of chimney
You can choose to have an island kitchen or a wall mounted or a cover type of kitchen (refer to the pictures below).
2. Building structure
Consider that mechanical ventilation system consists of the kitchen hood, the ducts (passage for extraction) and the extractor fan. Here’s a link to a blog we did explaining how each part plays a role in mechanical ventilation.
This system is unique to each building. Check with your contractor for the most effective design to extract air/smoke from the building. Also contact the owner of the building to check if the building has an existing ventilation system.
Note that the length of the duct is based on the building design. Also, the efficiency and size of the fan is based on the length of the duct among other factors.
3. Quality of the kitchen hood
Quality is king. You can never go wrong with a quality kitchen hood. Quality finishing is vital. Remember that the hood has to be cleaned regularly to prevent blockage in the ducts. If the finishing is not well done, it can cause injury.
For a hot kitchen, also consider the “cooking load”. What equipment do you use? What’s on the menu? How frequent do you make meals? How long does the food take to cook? What equipment are you using? etc. This will determine the strength of the mechanical ventilation system.
Material used for the hoods
Stainless steel hoods serve you longer, does not rust and is not affected with the environment. However, based on your budget, you can use magneto (which is a type of stainless steel but not as sturdy as regular stainless steel). You can also use aluminium hood, galvanized aluminium does not rust.
For the ducts, galvanized sheets work. However to increase their life span consider powder-coated galvanized sheets which do not rust.
Benefits of a kitchen hood
- Improved Air Quality. Perhaps the most important job of the range hood is to improve the air quality of your kitchen. Hoods are designed to remove odors, smoke, grease and other pollutants that are released into the air while cooking. The polluted air is sucked through a motorized fan and is either carried outside or filtered and re-circulated. Without a range hood, you and your family will find yourself breathing in the aftermath of dinner, causing possible eye, nose, and throat irritation. In addition, vent hoods help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Studies show elevated levels of carbon monoxide in kitchens caused by using the stove without turning on the range hood.
- Stay Comfortable. Cooking produces a lot of heat which can make a kitchen quite uncomfortable. Another great benefit of range hoods is the removal of excess heat and steam, providing a more pleasant cooking environment for the chef and the rest of the family.
- Less Kitchen Odor. Nothing smells better when you are hungry than a great meal cooking. However, cooking smells can linger long after dinner is over. Turning on your range hood helps suck out unpleasant odors and stuffiness, leaving your home smelling fresh.
- Easier Cleanup. Without a range hood, grease and excess moisture from cooking can create a sticky film that is difficult to clean. Using a ventilation hood will help prevent annoying greasy buildup and cut your cleaning time in half. Proper ventilation also helps to prevent the growth of bacteria and mold, a definite plus for anyone with allergies or asthma.
- An overhead range hood offers additional lighting for food preparation and cooking. The proper lighting also makes clean-up easier and ensures removal of all that hard to see grease and grime. Lighting features can range from basic to state-of-the-art, depending on which model you choose.
- Stylish Upgrade. Range hoods are not only practical, but can also be a stylish addition to your kitchen. These days range hoods come in a wide variety of designs. Shop around to find the perfect fit for your budget, kitchen space, and personal style.
- A Good Investment. Real estate experts agree—if you are trying to sell your home make sure your kitchen is up to date. An attractive kitchen with modern appliances adds major resale value to your home. Choosing the right range hood can make a big difference in the look and feel of your kitchen. You will more than likely see a good return on this investment.
NeoEng Limited is well known for quality kitchen hood venting services. Feel free to contact us with any further questions on construction of a kitchen hood.